We had a couple Cisco APs go bad on us recently. I bought a couple replacements and soon realized that my laptop doesn’t have a COM port… No consoling in to set IP config on the APs. After a little research, I decided to set up out network (DHCP, DNS) to auto-config new APs. Short version below:
Configured network infrastructure to support Cisco Aironet c1300 series APs.
- Created DNS entry in domain: CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.myDomain.com –> <IP of WLC>
- In DHCP Scope
- Added Scope Option: 43 = <calculated HEX value>
- See: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml#t1
- See: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1130/installation/guide/1130hig_book.pdf
- Reset APs to factory defaults: held down reset button while plugging power in.
- Plugged AP into network.
- Once WLC sees and updates the AP:
- Rename AP
- Enable HREAP (as needed)
- Change AP Group as needed
- Verify all settings