Your basic ITPro blog... What's going on at work, what I'm interested in.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Third Time’s a Charm

Quick Tip: If the install procedure for your software requires the shutting down of services on the server, it’s a good idea to turn off any monitoring systems that may auto-restart services it sees shutdown.

So, I was installing Backup Exec 2010 on my backup server, upgrading my in-place Backup Exec 12.5 installation. The first time I ran the install, it failed. Looking at the log, it said that it failed while shutting down the Backup Exec services. I checked and the services were running. So, I shut them down myself and re-ran the install. It failed again, with the same error. I looked again and the services were again running. Slightly confused, I stopped the services again. Then, just to double-check, I refreshed the Services screen. To my momentary amazement, the services were running again!

It didn’t take but a second to realize that the “problem” was What’s Up Gold (WUG). I have WUG monitoring my backup server and it is set to restart the Backup Exec services if they go down. So, I would switch the lights off and WUG, at the other end of the hall, would switch the lights back on! OFF-ON-BACKUP FAIL… repeat!

Putting my backup server into maintenance mode in WUG solved my problem.

Good to see that WUG is doing its job. Now, I just have to remember what jobs I have given it to do.

No comments:

Additional Info

My photo
email: support (AT) mangrumtech (DOT) com
mobile: 480-270-4332