Your basic ITPro blog... What's going on at work, what I'm interested in.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

OpenDNS – A Great Tool at a Great Price

So, this week I have sold out to OpenDNS! I have known about them for some time, but have never really dug in to their services. But, with the recent release of their premium services (they still have a free version, which I HIGHLY recommend!), their buzz has gone way up.

This week, I decided to create an account and put OpenDNS on my network at home. It took all of five minutes and the system works great. Account creation took just a minute and configuring my home router (an old Linksys) took just another minute. With that done, and filtering set up and stats turned on, I was ready to go! Category-based site filtering began working immediately. But, that is not all this service offers. I am still learning about the other features.

What prompted this, you may ask? Several factors converged on me this week to urge action.

First, I read a few items, like this one and this one. It just became time to really consider adding some protection to my network for my family. Second, my son, despite my protestations, continues to grow up! As is more normal that it probably should be, kids are using computers more and more and at an earlier age. The last thing I need is for my 6-year-old to stumble upon material he doesn’t need to be seeing.

This topic of discussion continued at work. We had been looking at Google Web Security services, to add to our Postini e-mail management services already in place. Other services in this arena include tools like Websense. However, the more I read and researched, the more I kept gravitating to OpenDNS. First of all, the entry price-point can’t be beat (FREE!!). And, as you move into their newly-offered premiere services, they are still extremely price-competitive.

I would highly suggest and recommend that you look in to OpenDNS and their offerings. Check it out for both your home and enterprise! I think you will be glad you did!

1 comment:

David Ulevitch said...

Thanks for the write-up and endorsement Derek. I hope we exceed your expectations.

Let me know if you have questions or issues. You can always email me direct david at opendns dot com.

Additional Info

My photo
email: support (AT) mangrumtech (DOT) com
mobile: 480-270-4332