Your basic ITPro blog... What's going on at work, what I'm interested in.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

When was an Outlook Calendar item created?

I had never been asked this question before, nor had I ever needed this information myself before.

Looking at the properties of an Outlook Calendar item, you can see the ‘Modified’ date/time. But, this isn’t necessarily the CREATION date/time. I couldn’t find a way to see this data from within the Outlook UI. So, I turned to PowerShell. I figured the value is there, I just needed to get to it.

** If you know of an easier way, please let me know.

This excellent blog post gave me most of what I needed.

From that, I created the following snippet that does the trick:

# Connect to Outlook Calendar
$outlook = New-Object -ComObject Outlook.Application
$session = $outlook.Session
$session.Logon()
$calendarItems = $outlook.session.GetDefaultFolder(9).Items
$calendarItems.Sort("[Start]")
$calendarItems.IncludeRecurrences = $true

$filter = "[End] >= '4/19/2009' AND [Start] <= '4/22/2009'"

foreach ($appt in $calendarItems.Restrict($filter))
{
    $appt | Select CreationTime, LastModificationTime, Subject
}

At some point, I would like to make this into a function… accepting input for date ranges, etc.

Also, I want to figure out how to look at other people’s calendars. I am thinking I need to pass parameters to Logon(), but did not get my initial attempts to work.

2 comments:

joekenn84 said...

From the Outlook Calendar:
View, Current View, By Category.
Add the field Date Created by right clicking the header and selecting field chooser.

Derek Mangrum said...

So it is in there! Thanks!

Additional Info

My Photo
email: support (AT) mangrumtech (DOT) com
mobile: 480-270-4332