Your basic ITPro blog... What's going on at work, what I'm interested in.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

FolderShare No More

Microsoft warned us FolderShare users that it was going away. Well, tonight it happened. I started getting connection errors on my computers, telling me that I had to upgrade to Windows Live Sync. I have been using FolderShare for quite a while, keeping files in sync between multiple computers and among multiple different people. It is a great tool.

Windows Live Sync looks almost identical and seems to function in much the same way. I haven't peeked into every corner yet, however. It does have a 'remote access' feature, but I currently use TeamViewer (along with KeePass for password management and auto-form-fill) and LOVE IT! I will not be bothering with the remote access features of Windows Live.

In fact, I am not sure I buy into the whole Windows Live thing quite yet. Yes, I use Windows Live Writer for blogging, Messenger for IM (in addition to Google Chat),  and Sync. But, I think of them as individual applications, not as part of a coherent, integrated service. I don't know if that's because I'm 'old school' or because Microsoft hasn't done a good enough job of selling Windows Live.

I just hope that Sync works as well as FolderShare did.

No comments:

Additional Info

My photo
email: support (AT) mangrumtech (DOT) com
mobile: 480-270-4332