Your basic ITPro blog... What's going on at work, what I'm interested in.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wireless Moving Forward

I have posted a couple of other times on our wireless/infrastructure upgrades on our Mesa campus (here and here). We are finally ready to move forward. We have scheduled deployment of four new APs for next Monday. I am very excited.

WiFiThese APs will tie in to our Gilbert wireless infrastructure, providing two SSIDs, one for public access and one for private LAN access. The great thing about this implementation (I am hoping!) is that our wireless services will look identical on both campuses. No more dual configs on our laptops! Very nice!

I do have a couple of concerns, but I am confident that our integrators will not have a problem. First, we are not using Cisco gear on the Mesa campus. We have a combination of Dell and LinkSys switches. They all support VLANs and QoS though, so I think we will be OK. Also, there will need to be some engineering done on our P2P link between the campuses to handle multiple VLANs and QoS. Again, should not be a problem for an actual Cisco engineer (just don't ask me to do it!).

I am very very excited about this and hope that this provides all of the benefits that we are counting on. Fewer APs with better coverage; better security; easier management.

I will let you know how it goes next week. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Additional Info

My photo
email: support (AT) mangrumtech (DOT) com
mobile: 480-270-4332