Your basic ITPro blog... What's going on at work, what I'm interested in.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Biting the Bullet...

I admit it... I have been a hold-out when it comes to Microsoft's new software. This is true of Office 2007 and, especially, Windows Vista. Unfortunately, they are both coming, whether I like it or not.

So, as a small sign of flexibility (and resignation of the inevitable), I installed Office 2007 this evening. Not only that, but I used the 'Upgrade' option. I was going to install it side by side with Office 2003, but I didn't want to chew up the bits on my HD. I am running low as it is.

I have been resistant to Office2007 and Vista from Day 1. The main reason for this is that I was not able to come up with a good answer to the following question:

"What does the current version of this software NOT do that I really need done?"

This question is even more compelling when considering the XP/Vista question. XP is a good OS... mature, stable, compatible, well-known. Vista is, from what I have seen and read, none of these things (though I have heard positive things about SP1). I plan to stay on XP as long as possible, unless my boss decides to get me a new laptop and it comes with Vista. ;)

Office 2003 also does everything I need, and much more. In fact, as I was considering things, I came to the realization that I only really use Outlook and a bit of Visio. It is very rare that I will pop open Excel, Word, Access, or Publisher. On occasion I will use these apps to view a document. But it is a truly rare event for me to open these apps to a new document and create something of my own. I just don't really have the need to do this very often.

But, the world around me is changing... and, as the saying goes, "Lead, follow, or get out of the way!" Well, getting out of the way is not an option (I've tried!). It's too late for me to lead; there are already many others at work with Office07, and more coming. So, my only real option was to follow... If I wanted to be compatible with, and knowledgeable of, the computing platform that is rapidly becoming the standard on our campus, I had to upgrade.

As you may guess, I have only opened Outlook so far. Looks nice.

No comments:

Additional Info

My photo
email: support (AT) mangrumtech (DOT) com
mobile: 480-270-4332